Dogs ill after eating cannabis
Four dogs have suffered “toxic poisoning” after eating cannabis during walks with their owners near a Greater Manchester reservoir.
Neil Rogers said his dog fell ill after eating something on a path near Dove Stone Reservoir, Saddleworth.
“Patch was just totally out of it,” Mr Rogers said.
Vets who treated the seriously ill dogs said they had made full recoveries. Police have warned owners to report suspicious packages.
Mr Rogers said: “When I got home he just collapsed and couldn’t do anything, I realised he had eaten something.”
He said the dog had been eating something which looked like “fat seed balls you hang out in the garden for the birds”.
He added that he had taken his dog to the vet, who treated Patch for “toxic poisoning [as they] didn’t know exactly what they were treating him for at the time”.
Following the treatment, Mr Rogers returned to the area to collect some of the substance and took it to police. It was later confirmed to be cannabis.
Veterinary surgeon Lorna Cook, who treated two of the dogs, said: “I haven’t seen anything like this before.
“We had two dogs with similar signs in quick succession so we knew there was something suspicious. Both dogs collapsed and had dilated pupils,” she said.
She said anyone who sees their dog ingest something unusual should contact a vet immediately.
She added that the cannabis would “hopefully not” cause long-term damage to the dogs’ health and that they should be “back to normal now the drug is out of their system”.
A spokeswoman for the canine charity Dogs Trust said cannabis was “poisonous to dogs”, even in small amounts which would have little effect on humans.
Greater Manchester Police said people should exercise caution while walking their dogs in the area near the reservoir and report any suspicious packages.
Presenting, Useful Dog Tricks!! Whoever said tricks can’t be useful? Jesse loves helping around the house, and I just love his happy attitude and smile on his face =o) *Our relationship is based on mutual respect, understanding, and trust. We have a wonderful relationship and bond, and that is the foundation of our training. We train all behaviors through the use of positive reinforcement* Jesse chooses to do the behaviors in this video, and has so much fun bringing smiles to people’s faces. He gets treats for doing his tricks, and enjoys learning new things. Tricks are just one of the activities we enjoy doing together. When not doing tricks, Jesse can be found playing with his cuz ball, chasing squeaker tennis balls, digging in search for lizards, de-fluffing stuffed toys, swimming, and a companioning me on outings. Jesse loves adventure, and lives each and every day to its fullest. Jesse is my best friend, heart dog, and truly a member of the family, and I love him with every beat of my heart. ~Heather and Jesse~ Wanna learn more about Clicker Training? Check out Karen Pryor’s website at: clickertraining.com to get started. Special thanks to Josh Woodward for the use of the songs “Coffee” both Full & Instrumental version. His music is under Creative Commons. Check out more of his awesome music at youtube.com Honors: #51 – Top Rated (All Time) – Pets & Animals #53 – Most Viewed (All Time) – Pets & Animals #50 – Top Rated (All Time) – Pets & Animals #111 – Most Viewed …
Permalink to ‘Dogs ill after eating cannabis’
Next: Stray dogs in Mexico are murder suspects in 5 deaths » »